Skip to main content

Stop and breathe

I was breathing in the salty air of the South China Sea when I heard about the nail-filled would-be car bomb in London. I was on the road somewhere when I caught snippets of news about a flaming car driving into Glasgow airport. Three guesses as to whose bright idea those acts were. No? You don’t need three?

It wasn’t until late last night that I managed to sit down and trawl through the net for news on the events in Britain. (Of course there’s hardly anything in the papers here, thank God for the internet). It makes me heartsick to read about stuff like this, especially when it’s done by Muslims who claim God told them to and it’s for the freedom of the Muslim people.

The news reports are bad enough but when I get to reading blogs and the comments on it, then I start to get really despondent. You can’t blame them for feeling that way; it seems that all Muslims want to do nowadays is Kill The Infidel and contribute to the greenhouse gas effect by burning lots and lots of flags. I would feel angry if somebody threatened me for being Muslim and accused me of being scum.

What is more surprising is the number of of calmer voices who don’t want to just pack off all Muslims and shoot them into outer space or something. You would think we deserved it for all the madness we’ve been creating. Although, by that same reasoning, you’d have to shoot a whole bunch of other people into space too and there’d be nobody left on Earth and all the animals will sigh with relief.

As a supposedly intelligent species, we humans don't seem to have learnt anything from history. It's always kill, kill, kill and damn the consequences. Who cares if it makes monsters of us all?

Comments

Anonymous said…
I still remember when I was in the coach st. in Liverpool, someone left behind a black bag (it was a few days after 07/07). The police were so calm and efficient. Not that it contained any explosive but I don't know if our local police could be as professional as that. Honestly, better there than here because I don't think Malaysians can face all that. We'll be panicking so bad that no one even dares to go out at all. See, we don't trust the police.
Kere said…
Better nowhere than here, I think.

Popular posts from this blog

Another S.E.X.Y.F.A.T. announcement

As a member of S.E.X.Y.F.A.T. (Society for the EXploitation of Yummy men in Film And Television) I feel obliged to do a run-down of top hunks that graced our (okay, my consciousness) in 2006. For the original S.E.X.Y.F.A.T. manifesto, please see Maryam's Guide To Everything Part 1. And no, I can't be bothered to review anything else in 2006 or make any resolutions because a) it's boring b) yeah, right, as if I'll change my ways c) this was way more fun My Top 3 Jensen Ackles (Jensen, you know it's me you want, not Maryam!) Jared Padalecki (Oh, alright, I'll have you instead) Jim Caviezel (aaaah, my blue-eyed Jim, why so sad? Is it because you are No.3?) Special Mention Guy Berryman (you are still yummy) Brandon Flowers (but only circa 2003 when he was sans eyeliner, mustache and gelled flattened hair) Paolo Nutini ( a bit too young for me but lovely all the same) Johnny Depp (the long time favourite, still going strong. You still float my boat Johnnayy! ...

Avast!

I was at the Maritime Institute in Jalan Yap Kwan Seng waiting for my dad to come out of a seminar becauseI needed the keys to take his car for repairs and servicing. So there I was twiddiling with my handbag in the corridor when the doors of the seminar room opened and a whole bunch of fit men in tight, white Royal Navy uniforms came out. Hubba-hubba! Unfortunately, my dad came out at the same time and started talking to me. All I could do was stand there with MY DAD while all these hunksome sailors passed me by. BAH! They're all probably too old for me anyway.

December's list

MUSIC Thanks to Maryam for the delights of this month's music. Be patient, Maryam, the world will one day see our special dance. 1) Presidente - KINKY . Singing in Spanish somehow makes everything sound sexier, even if he is singing about politics. Despite the oblique accusations of corruption against the Mexican president, this song is dance-floor hot and guaranteed to shake your booty. (I only use the word 'booty' online because in real life I would never get away with it.) 2) Let's Make Love And Death From Above - CSS . Bizarre title but the song works. Perfect for when returning to the home planet. 3) Ladylike - STORM LARGE & THE BALLS . They've got a name that is just dying for you to make dirty jokes about, but subject matter is serious to all girls who get the mickey taken out of them for not being 'ladylike.' Incidentally, Storm Large was one of the contestants on Rockstar: Supernova. MOVIES Surprisingly, I haven't watched many movies this mo...