Skip to main content

My mother would be a disco bunny in another life

Don't choke on your karipap. It's hard to imagine a woman who had always given me the impression that 99.99% of music is an assault on her sanity would be getting jiggy with it with the punters down at the local club. Oh God, that image has already given me a headache.

My mother can't drive and she frequently complains of the music I put on the car stereo so I had kindly burned two CDs worth of songs by The Carpenters (which I know she likes) and things like The Beatles' Yesterday and Beautiful Maria by Los Lobos to play in the car from time to time. But two days ago, I took special delivery of double A-side single Lost In A Melody/Wanderlust by who else, but Delays, and The Mother freaked me out when she said, "I like this song. It's catchy."

To hear what The Mother developed a liking to, click below.

Lost In A Melody (Tom Middleton Cosmos Remix) by Delays. Rough Trade Records (2004)

Oh and the other day, she asked, "Why don't you play that president song anymore?"

"President song? You mean Presidente by a band called Kinky?"

"Exactly.I like that."

Who are you and what have you done with my mother?!?!?


Presidente by Kinky. From the album Atlas. Nettwerk America (2003)

Comments

Anonymous said…
god, you're evil
Maryam said…
I must take credit for introducing Mom to Kinky.

You can take the blame for introducing her to Delays.

Meh.
Kere said…
If making more of the world appreciate Delays is evil, then I'll gladly go "Muahahahaha!" while stroking a white cat.

Seriously though, what is going on with her?
Maryam said…
I think her repressed inner wild child is finally coming out!

Yeehaw!

Popular posts from this blog

Another S.E.X.Y.F.A.T. announcement

As a member of S.E.X.Y.F.A.T. (Society for the EXploitation of Yummy men in Film And Television) I feel obliged to do a run-down of top hunks that graced our (okay, my consciousness) in 2006. For the original S.E.X.Y.F.A.T. manifesto, please see Maryam's Guide To Everything Part 1. And no, I can't be bothered to review anything else in 2006 or make any resolutions because a) it's boring b) yeah, right, as if I'll change my ways c) this was way more fun My Top 3 Jensen Ackles (Jensen, you know it's me you want, not Maryam!) Jared Padalecki (Oh, alright, I'll have you instead) Jim Caviezel (aaaah, my blue-eyed Jim, why so sad? Is it because you are No.3?) Special Mention Guy Berryman (you are still yummy) Brandon Flowers (but only circa 2003 when he was sans eyeliner, mustache and gelled flattened hair) Paolo Nutini ( a bit too young for me but lovely all the same) Johnny Depp (the long time favourite, still going strong. You still float my boat Johnnayy! ...

Avast!

I was at the Maritime Institute in Jalan Yap Kwan Seng waiting for my dad to come out of a seminar becauseI needed the keys to take his car for repairs and servicing. So there I was twiddiling with my handbag in the corridor when the doors of the seminar room opened and a whole bunch of fit men in tight, white Royal Navy uniforms came out. Hubba-hubba! Unfortunately, my dad came out at the same time and started talking to me. All I could do was stand there with MY DAD while all these hunksome sailors passed me by. BAH! They're all probably too old for me anyway.

December's list

MUSIC Thanks to Maryam for the delights of this month's music. Be patient, Maryam, the world will one day see our special dance. 1) Presidente - KINKY . Singing in Spanish somehow makes everything sound sexier, even if he is singing about politics. Despite the oblique accusations of corruption against the Mexican president, this song is dance-floor hot and guaranteed to shake your booty. (I only use the word 'booty' online because in real life I would never get away with it.) 2) Let's Make Love And Death From Above - CSS . Bizarre title but the song works. Perfect for when returning to the home planet. 3) Ladylike - STORM LARGE & THE BALLS . They've got a name that is just dying for you to make dirty jokes about, but subject matter is serious to all girls who get the mickey taken out of them for not being 'ladylike.' Incidentally, Storm Large was one of the contestants on Rockstar: Supernova. MOVIES Surprisingly, I haven't watched many movies this mo...