Skip to main content

My niece, the critic (Part 2) and how I injured her

The thing with critics is, even if they do say some bad things, if they do it in a witty and amusing fashion, you can almost forgive them. Of course if they critique somebody else instead of you, they're even more hilarious.

My niece, the early-riser, likes to come into my room if she know I'm awake, or if she's plain bored. Sometimes she just chats away, and I nod and listen and pretend I understand. Today, we were playing a 'monster' game as she climbs underneath my duvet and both of us go "RRRRRrrrrrrr!".

Niece then says, "You haven't brushed your teeth."

Now, I could take offence at that. Certainly if it wasn't expressed by a little girl in a pink polka dot dress. But think again on the sophistication of this comment. You are four months short of your fourth birthday. You are playing a game with your favourite aunt. While in close proximity with said aunt, you detect a sour smell. You recognise this smell as the smell of foul breath. You could say, "You smell," or "Your breath smells."

No, but instead you correlate this stench with the smell of unbrushed teeth and conclude that auntie dearest has not brushed her teeth. Genius!

And she still continues to play with me, smelly breath and all. Bless her little socks!

Later in the evening, I suggested a meal out to my brother and his wife after work, so we headed across the river to a favourite restaurant of theirs. It was 7pm but traffic was still busy and there were still so many people out as I wound the pushchair around them with my niece in it. We stopped at the busy T-junction between Dame Street and George's Street Great South. As soon as the lights turn green, I shot across ther road. Halfway through, the pushchair hit a depressed manhole cover in the road, bringing the chair to a dead stop and my niece to come lurching out of her chair and hitting the ground.

I was aghast. Several pedestrians stopped and gaped. Poor niece, who had only looked stunned. My brother exclaimed, "Mummer!" Niece looked up at him and said in a small voice, "Daddy."

My brother picked her up off the road and we got to the kerb safely, with my sister-in-law laughing in the background. I'm glad she didn't take my head off.

"Don't worry," she said. "It's happened to me before, that pushchair has a shallow seat and Daughter never wants to wear her seatbelt." She stops and chuckles. "But never in the middle of Dame Street!"

I'm glad to say Niece hasn't been seriously hurt, and managed to eat her dinner with little fuss later. I got her some Barbie stickers the next day to make up for it.

Comments

Maryam said…
Aww duuude, this is the cutest story.
Meh, old age makes me soft.
Kere said…
Woooaah, loads of spelling and grammatical mistakes. Needs editing.

I think Yam means the earlier part of the story. Yup, she's cute. I never thought I'd be the sort of tiresome person who goes on and on about their children/nephews/nieces, but there you go. Old age does make you soft - and liable to heartburn, joint aches, urinary frequency etc.
Maryam said…
Also, I forgot to mention that I don't approve of the niece playing with Barbie stickers. Barbie! Bah!
Kere said…
Niece is obsessed with being a princess, and Barbie embodies the princess look. Be grateful you don't have to watch repeated runs of Barbie and the Magic Pegasus on DVD or keep being the Wickedy Witch to her Princess.

No, no urine stories - they don't fascinate me as much as bowel problems. Maybe that's why I enjoyed my job in Gastroenterology so much, ha ha. I can always tell you more when we both get home, muahahahhha!!!

And Barbie stickers were the cheapest thing in the toyshop!!

Popular posts from this blog

Another S.E.X.Y.F.A.T. announcement

As a member of S.E.X.Y.F.A.T. (Society for the EXploitation of Yummy men in Film And Television) I feel obliged to do a run-down of top hunks that graced our (okay, my consciousness) in 2006. For the original S.E.X.Y.F.A.T. manifesto, please see Maryam's Guide To Everything Part 1. And no, I can't be bothered to review anything else in 2006 or make any resolutions because a) it's boring b) yeah, right, as if I'll change my ways c) this was way more fun My Top 3 Jensen Ackles (Jensen, you know it's me you want, not Maryam!) Jared Padalecki (Oh, alright, I'll have you instead) Jim Caviezel (aaaah, my blue-eyed Jim, why so sad? Is it because you are No.3?) Special Mention Guy Berryman (you are still yummy) Brandon Flowers (but only circa 2003 when he was sans eyeliner, mustache and gelled flattened hair) Paolo Nutini ( a bit too young for me but lovely all the same) Johnny Depp (the long time favourite, still going strong. You still float my boat Johnnayy! ...

Avast!

I was at the Maritime Institute in Jalan Yap Kwan Seng waiting for my dad to come out of a seminar becauseI needed the keys to take his car for repairs and servicing. So there I was twiddiling with my handbag in the corridor when the doors of the seminar room opened and a whole bunch of fit men in tight, white Royal Navy uniforms came out. Hubba-hubba! Unfortunately, my dad came out at the same time and started talking to me. All I could do was stand there with MY DAD while all these hunksome sailors passed me by. BAH! They're all probably too old for me anyway.

December's list

MUSIC Thanks to Maryam for the delights of this month's music. Be patient, Maryam, the world will one day see our special dance. 1) Presidente - KINKY . Singing in Spanish somehow makes everything sound sexier, even if he is singing about politics. Despite the oblique accusations of corruption against the Mexican president, this song is dance-floor hot and guaranteed to shake your booty. (I only use the word 'booty' online because in real life I would never get away with it.) 2) Let's Make Love And Death From Above - CSS . Bizarre title but the song works. Perfect for when returning to the home planet. 3) Ladylike - STORM LARGE & THE BALLS . They've got a name that is just dying for you to make dirty jokes about, but subject matter is serious to all girls who get the mickey taken out of them for not being 'ladylike.' Incidentally, Storm Large was one of the contestants on Rockstar: Supernova. MOVIES Surprisingly, I haven't watched many movies this mo...