Skip to main content

February 2007's list

Music

1. Somebody To Love – JEFFERSON AIRPLANE

2. Angry Angel - IMOGEN HEAP. A week at my older sister's meant a good a long trawl through her extensive CD collection. All of us siblings have different tastes in music but at various junctures our paths cross, and this old gem by Imogen Heap is one of them.

3. Set The Fire To The Third Bar – SNOW PATROL & MARTHA WAINWRIGHT. I hated this at first but it's one of those songs that grow on you.

4. Not My Kinda Scene – POWDERFINGER. Courtesy of my sister again, I found this old tune on a CD which I think is actually mine, but I can't very well prove it. We're always nicking stuff from each other anyway, so I guess it doesn't matter. Slow-rock still sounding good.

5. Your Cover’s Blown – BELLE & SEBASTIAN. My younger sister sent me this track ages ago but I must have been in some kind of noisy guitar rock only mood that I couldn't really bring myself to like it. But I've been organising my music collection on my laptop and have given this a second chance. What do you know, I find myself bopping my head, tapping my feet and doing hand gestures along to its smooth, chill out beats. It's a bit long, going past six minutes so the song is in three parts, with the middle bit going a bit whacked out.

6. Renegade – STYX. I like this song mainly by association. When I hear it, I always picture Dean and Sam Winchester in their stolen SWAT uniforms running from the feds, looking so hunksome.

7. Laugh, I Nearly Died – THE ROLLING STONES. Every time I think I’ve listened to this song too many times, the opening strains of this song manage to hook me in to listening a bit more. It’s just so damned sexy.


Books

1. The X-Files Book of the Unexplained Volume One & Two – JANE GOLDMAN. When my mind is restless and I can’t find a thought that sticks in my head without it withering away as if it were leaves in wind, I know there is no point in trying to focus my mind starting a new novel. This is when I raid the bookshelves, either by reading something so old and familiar I could quote lines from it or by reading non-fiction. From the back of a dusty bookcase, I come upon two hardbacks belonging to my younger sister.

At one stage, she was a fanatical X-File fan, or X-Phile, and she collected the books, comics, card games, etc. I used to collect Star Wars paraphernalia, so the both of us would haunt our local comic book store, checking out prices, saving a cent here and there and salivating over the day when we could buy our precious collectibles. Now, evidence of our halcyon days lays gathering dust (or destroyed by younger cousins who did not understand that a model kit spaceship is not meant to be banged about).

Anyway, this is two volumes of explaining the background of the inspiration to the stories that turned up on X-Files. The author references her work, so if you ever feel like knowing more of alien abductions, ESP, spontaneous combustion – it's all here.

Comments

Anonymous said…
What inspired you to listen to Powderfinger? And I thought you didn't like Belle and Sebastian.

ADn why are you not listening to Wolf Parade or Sunset Rubdown? eh? eh?

Dude... you need new books.
Kere said…
See my edit above. I've added additional info.

Popular posts from this blog

Another S.E.X.Y.F.A.T. announcement

As a member of S.E.X.Y.F.A.T. (Society for the EXploitation of Yummy men in Film And Television) I feel obliged to do a run-down of top hunks that graced our (okay, my consciousness) in 2006. For the original S.E.X.Y.F.A.T. manifesto, please see Maryam's Guide To Everything Part 1. And no, I can't be bothered to review anything else in 2006 or make any resolutions because a) it's boring b) yeah, right, as if I'll change my ways c) this was way more fun My Top 3 Jensen Ackles (Jensen, you know it's me you want, not Maryam!) Jared Padalecki (Oh, alright, I'll have you instead) Jim Caviezel (aaaah, my blue-eyed Jim, why so sad? Is it because you are No.3?) Special Mention Guy Berryman (you are still yummy) Brandon Flowers (but only circa 2003 when he was sans eyeliner, mustache and gelled flattened hair) Paolo Nutini ( a bit too young for me but lovely all the same) Johnny Depp (the long time favourite, still going strong. You still float my boat Johnnayy! ...

Avast!

I was at the Maritime Institute in Jalan Yap Kwan Seng waiting for my dad to come out of a seminar becauseI needed the keys to take his car for repairs and servicing. So there I was twiddiling with my handbag in the corridor when the doors of the seminar room opened and a whole bunch of fit men in tight, white Royal Navy uniforms came out. Hubba-hubba! Unfortunately, my dad came out at the same time and started talking to me. All I could do was stand there with MY DAD while all these hunksome sailors passed me by. BAH! They're all probably too old for me anyway.

December's list

MUSIC Thanks to Maryam for the delights of this month's music. Be patient, Maryam, the world will one day see our special dance. 1) Presidente - KINKY . Singing in Spanish somehow makes everything sound sexier, even if he is singing about politics. Despite the oblique accusations of corruption against the Mexican president, this song is dance-floor hot and guaranteed to shake your booty. (I only use the word 'booty' online because in real life I would never get away with it.) 2) Let's Make Love And Death From Above - CSS . Bizarre title but the song works. Perfect for when returning to the home planet. 3) Ladylike - STORM LARGE & THE BALLS . They've got a name that is just dying for you to make dirty jokes about, but subject matter is serious to all girls who get the mickey taken out of them for not being 'ladylike.' Incidentally, Storm Large was one of the contestants on Rockstar: Supernova. MOVIES Surprisingly, I haven't watched many movies this mo...