Skip to main content

Is this ironic, Alanis?

More accurately, it was just incredible coincidence.

I had just given a talk that Friday morning at our hospital's Continuing Medical Education programme, which is attended by any hospital staff available, including the hospital consultants and the hospital director. It went down well, I think. I put lots of pictures which I hoped would prevent anyone from falling asleep.

So I banged on for half an hour about ectopic pregnancies, about how it is the leading cause of maternal mortality in the first trimester, the various ways you can treat it and other problems that could present similarly to a ruptured ectopic, i.e. a twisted ovarian cyst.

I was having a well-earned breakfast later when A&E called, saying that they've got a possible ruptured ectopic pregnancy. Ah, dammit. I swallowed the rest of my Pepsi (yes, I know, a carbonated sugary drink for breakfast, bad girl, bad girl) and made my way to emergency.

There was a lady writhing with pain, holding on to her left side. The lady says she hasn't had a period for three months and a urine test confirms she is pregnant. Her abdomen is tender and I think, uh, rupture.

Here is our RM20,000 scan machine which nicely shows a 12 week old baby spinning around in her uterus. Uh, not an ectopic then. Oh, but here is a huge ovarian cyst on her left side. Oh yes and come to think of it, the fact that she was writhing on the bed rather than lying still with the pain should have pointed out to me that her problem wasn't an intra-abdominal bleed.

Anyways, everyone made jokes about how funny it was that I was talking about twisted ovarian cysts this morning and now I've got a patient with one, and I went 'Ha ha ha' and carted off the lady to the operating theatre.

I was barely out of theatre when that dastardly Emergency Department called again. What do you think it was about? Yes, a ruptured ectopic pregnancy, no shit.

So, it was a pretty hectic day what with nothing going right in the labour room. I missed lunch and dinner and ended up with bad gastritis. I was in theatre again that night and was feeling really bloated and gassy. So much so, that I did not stop farting. It's not the kind that you can stop, it just pops out. Really, it was quite embarrassing.

Some doctor dude was once worried about farting in the sterile environment of the operating theatre. Would it compromise patient care and lead to higher rates of infection? So he did a little experiment. He farted directly on to an agar petri dish, then farted again through his trousers onto a different petri dish. The result: a small amount of bacteria grew on the first dish, but none on the second.

I think that was a nice symmetry to the day. I started out being all solemn and scholarly at my presentation and 18 hours later I'm thinking of farts on a petri dish. And the anesthetist was talking about his balls.

Mmmmmm, so nice to get some sleep.

Comments

Maryam said…
the farts on a petri dish experiment is one giant leap for science and mankind.

Popular posts from this blog

Another S.E.X.Y.F.A.T. announcement

As a member of S.E.X.Y.F.A.T. (Society for the EXploitation of Yummy men in Film And Television) I feel obliged to do a run-down of top hunks that graced our (okay, my consciousness) in 2006. For the original S.E.X.Y.F.A.T. manifesto, please see Maryam's Guide To Everything Part 1. And no, I can't be bothered to review anything else in 2006 or make any resolutions because a) it's boring b) yeah, right, as if I'll change my ways c) this was way more fun My Top 3 Jensen Ackles (Jensen, you know it's me you want, not Maryam!) Jared Padalecki (Oh, alright, I'll have you instead) Jim Caviezel (aaaah, my blue-eyed Jim, why so sad? Is it because you are No.3?) Special Mention Guy Berryman (you are still yummy) Brandon Flowers (but only circa 2003 when he was sans eyeliner, mustache and gelled flattened hair) Paolo Nutini ( a bit too young for me but lovely all the same) Johnny Depp (the long time favourite, still going strong. You still float my boat Johnnayy! ...

Avast!

I was at the Maritime Institute in Jalan Yap Kwan Seng waiting for my dad to come out of a seminar becauseI needed the keys to take his car for repairs and servicing. So there I was twiddiling with my handbag in the corridor when the doors of the seminar room opened and a whole bunch of fit men in tight, white Royal Navy uniforms came out. Hubba-hubba! Unfortunately, my dad came out at the same time and started talking to me. All I could do was stand there with MY DAD while all these hunksome sailors passed me by. BAH! They're all probably too old for me anyway.

A letter to the makers of Supernatural

(Dean and Sam doing a Mulder and Scully) I watched the latest episode Night Shifter yesterday and I have got to say that, in American speak, it was totally awesome. Now, because I am not the most eloquent of writers and because my brain is half-man, I shall put my points across in a list. What I like about Supernatural so far: 1. The two brothers. Yum mee, keep those two brothers coming. Especially Dean. 2. The fact that Sam and Dean constantly take the mickey out of each other. 3. Dean's one liners. "I don't do shorts, sweetheart." 4. Dean, because he is so hot. 5. The fight scenes where they use everything they've got: guns, crossbows, knives, bare knuckles, head butts. 6. The things they hunt: demons, murderous ghosts, vengeful spirits, vampires, satanic preachers, backswood crazies, telekinetic murderers. 7. The beautiful, haunting cinematography. 8. For making classic rock cool again. 9. Sam's 'guilty conscience for surfing internet porn'. 10. A ...